Monday, December 04, 2006

Socrates - Laura


I know many of you have met (or at least seen photos of) Socrates but Marijke reminded me that not everyone is well aqainted with my one-winged turkey vulture friend. I've been handling Soc for about two years through Wildlife Education and Environmental Programs (WEEP) here at the University of Guelph. Socrates is one of our non-releasable birds used for outreach education. He was hit by a car in his hatchling year and his wing was broken. After much veterinary care, his wing was amputated in 1992. We also have two great-horned owls (Octavius and Einstein), a red-tailed hawk (Kaila), a broad-winged hawk (Whistler), a peregrine falcon (Calypso) and two American crows (Poe and Loki).

3 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger Evelyn & Floyd said...

Thought I should add that Soc is turning 20 next year! This age would be quite old for a wild turkey vulture but captive vultures have been known to live into their late-twenties.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Evelyn & Floyd said...

Laura again. Thought I should let you know that if you're interested you can check out our program at www.weep.ca (there are more photos on that site as well).
ttfn,
L.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Evelyn & Floyd said...

Thank-you for sharing Laura. I am not sure that I would be quite that interested in a one winged turkey vulture.... but whatever turns you on!!!

Nancy (aunt)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home